What you use to cleanse your skin is one of the most important parts of your skincare routine. For many people, the idea of using anything oil based is completely counterintuitive, and we can understand why.
In particular, people who are prone to oily skin or breakouts veer away from any products containing oil, fearing that it will make their skin worse. However, oil based cleansers can be amongst the most effective, gentle and restorative products in your skincare routine.
Here, we explain the benefits of cleansing oils and how to use them.
The skincare benefits of cleansing oils
- Removes make-up, pollution and dirt gently
- Hydrates and moisturises the skin
- Acts as a protective barrier for the skin
- Provides antioxidant support
The problem with a lot of cleansers is that in a bid to 'clean' the skin, they actually strip it of all the good stuff as well. Cleansing oils remove make-up and dirt without compromising the protective barrier of the skin. In fact, the oil that you use protects your skin, keeping it soft and moisturised. Cleansing oils nourish and hydrate at the same time as removing impurities and de-clogging pores. They also provide antioxidant support to the skin throughout the cleansing process.
Will cleansing oils make oily skin worse?
On the contrary, cleansing oils can actually make skin more balanced and reduce acne and breakouts. The reason for this is that when you strip your skin of its naturally occurring oils, it stimulates it to produce more oil because it thinks there is a lack of it. By providing your skin with enough oil and hydration, it will help to balance it out.
How to use cleansing oils
Using a cleansing oil is easy and simple:
- Apply a small amount to dry skin.
- Gently massage the oil into your face and around the eyes for between 30 seconds and one minute.
- Wipe face with a damp cloth or cotton wool to remove excess oil.
- Follow up with a refreshing facial spritz.
- Some people don't feel the need to apply a moisturiser after using a cleansing oil, but we recommend it to lock in moisture.
- To give skin an extra boost, use a serum before your moisturiser.
About our Well Being Beauty Sandalwood & Neroli Cleansing Oil
Like our other products, our Well Being Beauty Sandalwood & Neroli Cleansing Oil is completely natural and extremely gentle. Formulated using a blend of sunflower oil and sandalwood and neroli essential oils, it's designed to support skin, particularly after cancer treatment. Key benefits include:
- It improves skin's elasticity
- Reduces signs of ageing
- Removes make-up
- Hydrates tired looking skin
- Promotes healthy skin cell growth