Whether you or someone you know is going through treatment for cancer, you might have an idea or two about how it can affect the way your skin and face feel. Makeup can help you to bring your face to life once again. However, a lot of makeup contains disruptive ingredients that can be especially harmful to sensitive and irritated skin. Getting your foundation right will be the key to keeping your face looking radiant and beautiful all day.
Finding a suitable foundation for your skin can become a rather tedious task when you are busy finding your feet through chemotherapy or radiotherapy. Matching a chemical free foundation to your skin will certainly give some peace of mind. We want to help you to feel like yourself again, as you go through treatment for cancer, without compromising on coverage and performance.
Luckily, there are some natural alternatives to traditional foundation. Mineral foundation is a well-known option for those seeking a skin friendly base for makeup. Using a mineral foundation will brighten the skin and give an even skin tone because it allows the skin to breathe while rejuvenating and providing a subtle glow. It will help to balance uneven skin by absorbing excess sebum oil and producing a matt effect ready for make-up application.
Although traditional makeup offers heavy coverage and conceals blemishes, these types of products may be unhealthy for your skin. When going through cancer treatment, the last thing you want to do is introduce toxins or hormone disrupters to your skincare routine. Mineral foundation is non-comedogenic (will not block pores), allowing your skin to breathe while keeping you covered for the day.
We all know the heavy feel of regular foundation and the mid-afternoon slop where it begins to crease and settle into our fine lines, highlighting imperfections. The benefit of mineral foundation is that it will not settle into the crevices of our face as it is light weight and prevents our faces looking aged. Mineral foundations fair well during colder and hotter weather so are perfect to use all year round to avoid flaking and melting, while the ingredients provide calming anti-inflammatory effects for sensitive skin.
The steps before applying a foundation can be just as important as its application. The skin needs to be gently prepped beforehand. Do not be intimidated by its powder form, you can still learn many great ways to get beautiful coverage. Here is a brief guide on how to approach it until you find your own rhythm.
- REMEMBER to wash your hands thoroughly, before you begin touching all over your delicate face.
- We recommend cleansing and hydrating your skin using a gentle balm such as Defiant Beauty Cleanse and Moisturise Balm, to provide a fresh surface for your makeup. Pat your skin dry gently so that you are not creating a rush of blood to areas of your face, so that you can work on the natural canvas of your face
- Minerals love to bond to moisturised surfaces so allow a light moisturiser to sit on your face for a few minutes before applying any mineral foundation.
- You will need a soft bristle powder brush which you can dip into your foundation and gently apply foundation to skin in slow swiping circular motions.
- Get to those hidden spots like near the ear and top edges of your forehead.
If you’re wondering where you can find a mineral foundation that can address your skincare needs as well as making you look fabulous; the Jennifer Young Mineral Powder Foundation is a silky light weight crushed mineral powder that provides sheer high-performance coverage and a natural radiance - without any glitter, shimmer or irritation. Our mineral foundation comes in a variety of 8 shades: Cool Beige, Shortbread, Warm, Glow, Desert Gold, Light Beige, Gold Dust and Dusky Glow so you will have a wide array of colours to pick from.
We avoid using harsh chemicals, talc, and fragrances which means our foundation can be used on all skin types.